ALBERTO DEL RIO WWE BATTLEGROUND
Name
Alberto Del Rio
Real Name
Alberto Rodriguez
Date of Birth
May 25, 1977
Place of Birth
...
Hometown
...
Debut
2000
Alberto Del Rio

In a match that was surprisingly given almost twenty minutes, Alberto Del Rio defeated Rob Van Dam in a Hardcore Rules match via submission to retain the World Heavyweight Championship at the WWE Battleground pay per view.

October 6, 2013
Triple H
On Monday Night Raw, Triple H cut a promo that took a jab at wrestling fans online. Some more details have been revealed now. The segment was in response to what HHH saw online from fans who complained about WWE Battleground 2014 being a sub par show. It has been said on multiple occasions that he hates fans who think they know how the business works.
July 24, 2014
Bray Wyatt
As late as Saturday, management had plans in place for Bray Wyatt to beat Chris Jericho at WWE Battleground 2014. However, Vince McMahon called an audible and had Jericho winning the match. No word yet on why McMahon made this decision, but it is being said that a lot of people backstage were against the idea because Wyatt had already started losing momentum with the audience.
July 22, 2014
Rob Van Dam
Fans who watched WWE Battleground 2014 noticed that Rob Van Dam did not perform. It has now been revealed that the former world heavyweight champion was forced to miss the pay per view because of an undisclosed injury. An update has been promised by WWE in regards to the nature of the ailment. No word yet on whether or not RVD will be missing time from the road.
July 21, 2014
Miz
At WWE Battleground 2014, Miz won the battle royal to become the new Intercontinental Champion. Sheamus is the reigning United States Heavyweight Champion. The two of them are feuding. That has led to rumors of a title unification match taking place at Summerslam 2014. The belief is that WWE really wants to stack up this pay per view to build momentum for the upcoming subscription rush for the WWE Network.
July 21, 2014
Alexander Rusev
Vince McMahon decided to take a huge gamble at WWE Battleground 2014 when he had Lana and Alexander Rusev cutting a promo that hinted about the recent airplane disaster in the Ukraine. That received plenty of backlash from the media and from fans on social media websites. It got to the point where WWE even released a official statement with a veiled jab at those who are complaining.
July 21, 2014
John Cena
After successfully retaining the heavyweight championship at WWE Battleground 2014, many would expect John Cena to be at Monday Night Raw for some sort of victory promo. However, the popular performer hopped on a plane Monday morning in Tampa to head to New York City. Cena is filming some scenes for an upcoming movie and will not be at Raw.
July 21, 2014
John Cena
With the pay per view just a day away, rumors are firing up about WWE pulling the trigger on the Roman Reigns era. There are talks that he could walk out of the WWE Battleground 2014 pay per view as the new heavyweight champion. Management might be forced to give John Cena some time off to film some scenes in a big movie, so the title change has been discussed heavily over the last couple of days.
July 19, 2014
Adam Rose
In a rather interesting move, management has removed Adam Rose and Damien Sandow from the Intercontinental Championship battle royal at WWE Battleground 2014. No word yet on why they were pulled from the match, but rumors are floating around that the two of them could be given a singles match on the pay per view. As of right now, there are twenty remaining contestants competing for the belt.
July 16, 2014
Wade Barrett
While many were afraid that the injury would cause him to lose his push, the fact that management has Wade Barrett scheduled to make an appearance at WWE Battleground 2014 is a good sign that the elevation will continue once he makes his return. The belief is that Barrett will be handing over the Intercontinental Championship to the winner of the battle royal, while planting the seeds for a future feud.
July 15, 2014
AJ Lee
Since management did not want to have two divas matches on WWE Battleground 2014, the decision was made to have the match between Cameron and Naomi Knight take place on the kickoff show instead. The segment was needed for the upcoming season of Total Divas. Otherwise, the story would have been placed on the back burner once AJ Lee decided to make her return to WWE.
July 15, 2014
John Cena
Rumors are floating around that the segment on Monday Night Raw between John Cena and Ric Flair was a subtle way for WWE to retire the world heavyweight championship belt. For those that missed it, Cena handed the belt over to Flair and told the legendary performer to keep it. WWE has not released an official statement on the matter yet, so fans will be tuning in to Smackdown and WWE Battleground 2014 to see the fate of the belt.
July 15, 2014
Antonio Cesaro
A lot of wrestling fans were a bit confused on Monday Night Raw this week when it was revealed that Paul Heyman and Antonio Cesaro are no longer together. The reason for the abrupt split is because WWE wants Heyman to be associated only with Brock Lesnar, who is rumored to be returning as soon as the night after WWE Battleground 2014. The former UFC champion is rumored to be on the receiving end of a huge push in the coming months.
July 15, 2014
Erick Rowan
Since management wanted to fill in some time at WWE Battleground 2014, the decision was made to book Jimmy Uso, Jey Uso, Luke Harper and Erick Rowan into a best of three falls match for the tag team championship. The two teams have produced some good matches for WWE, so management is hoping that they can fill in a good amount of time at the pay per view for them.
July 9, 2014
David Otunga
About a month ago, it was reported that David Otunga was on his way back to WWE. He revealed those plans to the media, but those plans have yet to surface. It is being said that management simply has not come up with a story for him to make his return to Monday Night Raw and Smackdown. Some are speculating that he could be a mystery entrant into the upcoming Intercontinental Championship battle royal at WWE Battleground 2014.
July 8, 2014
Kofi Kingston
While he has already been officially added to the match at WWE Battleground 2014, very few people backstage in WWE expect Kofi Kingston to be given much consideration as the new Intercontinental Champion. The belief is that he is simply in the match to act as filler and to produce an entertaining spot, which he has routinely done well for the company.
July 5, 2014
Antonio Cesaro
Some more names have been added to the upcoming WWE Intercontinental Championship battle royal. Big E, Curtis Axel, Dolph Ziggler, Rob Van Dam and Ryback are now in the match at WWE Battleground 2014. They join Kofi Kingston, Damien Sandow, Great Khali and Antonio Cesaro. As of right now, the company is favoring the idea of giving the title to Cesaro.
July 2, 2014
John Cena
On Monday Night Raw, WWE was quick to set up the main event for WWE Battleground 2014. John Cena will defend the heavyweight championship in a fatal four way match against Roman Reigns, Randy Orton and Kane. The move was set up by Triple H, who did not reveal his reasoning for putting Reigns, an adversary, into the title match instead of Seth Rollins.
July 1, 2014
Randy Orton
As of right now, WWE has a big match between Roman Reigns and Randy Orton penciled in for WWE Battleground 2014. The company could set up the feud during the title match at Money in the Bank 2014. There are some rumors floating around that Orton and Reigns could be battling for the title at Battleground, even though it's a bit early for the big push to begin.
June 28, 2014
Cameron
Rumors are floating around right now that Cameron will be doing a heel turn at Money in the Bank 2014. She will more than likely cost Naomi Knight her chance at the WWE Divas Championship. There is also speculations that the incident will then lead to a triple threat match at WWE Battleground 2014, which would also feature Paige as the champion still.
June 27, 2014
Dean Ambrose
Ever since the shocking heel turn by Seth Rollins against Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns took place on Monday Night Raw, there has been a lot of speculations as to when WWE would have the former Shield partners fighting one another. As of right now, the strongest rumors are that Rollins and Ambrose will be facing one another at Money in the Bank 2014, while Rollins and Reigns will have their match at WWE Battleground 2014.
June 8, 2014
Alberto Del Rio
WWE reportedly has banned Alberto Del Rio from wrestling in the United States for the next year because they feel that he violated the terms of his contract. However, the former world heavyweight champion is going defy the company. His agent has been contacting various independent wrestling promotions in America to work matches and make appearances.
August 21, 2014
Alberto Del Rio
The hot rumors right now is that WWE is going to prevent Alberto Del Rio from working for another wrestling promotion in the United States for the next year. In exchange, the company will continue to pay him, even though he has been given a release. That has led fans to speculate as to how much money he will be given. The belief is that it will not be the full amount of the contract, as he will not be paid for working live events.
August 21, 2014
Alberto Del Rio
Everyone in the industry now knows that Alberto Del Rio and Rey Mysterio made appearances for AAA at the TripleMania pay per view. The belief is that WWE will be pursuing legal actions against the promotion, as management has been very quiet backstage about the incident. That has led many to believe that lawyers have advised them not to discuss the situation.
August 19, 2014
Alberto Del Rio
A lot of eyes in the industry are on Alberto Del Rio right now, as many want to see if he will pursue a lawsuit against WWE. The company has reportedly banned him from working in the United States for a year. Back when Brock Lesnar filed a similar lawsuit, the judge was very close to ruling in his favor. Both sides agreed to a settlement instead. If Del Rio were to file the lawsuit and win the case, then that changes things in the industry quite a bit.
August 19, 2014
Jack Swagger
While a lawsuit against WWE is still being pondered, Alberto Del Rio revealed that several employees, including wrestlers, were witnesses to the backstage incident that took place between he and Cody Barbierri. Of particular note, Del Rio pointed out that Jack Swagger was one of the wrestlers that saw the entire thing unfold. If a lawsuit takes place, then there is a chance that Swagger could be questioned.
August 18, 2014
Alberto Del Rio
During an interview with Primera Noticias, Alberto Del Rio revealed some details about his release from WWE. He stated that while Vince McMahon did admonish him, he was also told to go back to work. Del Rio found out the following day that he was then given a suspension. Shortly afterwards, Triple H called and told him that he was being fired instead of just suspended.
August 18, 2014
Alberto Del Rio
As expected, WWE has instructed their performers to remain silent if they are asked about the backstage incident that led to the release of Alberto Del Rio. When asked by the media, Sheamus explicitly stated that he knew nothing of the situation, even though most everyone in the company is aware of what happened. Management does not want to run the risk of starting a legal battle with Del Rio.
August 17, 2014
Alberto Del Rio
Rumors are surfacing that Alberto Del Rio might not take legal actions against WWE and accept the one year ban in the United States. Since he is allowed to work matches in Mexico, the former world heavyweight champion could end up making a lot more money because WWE would still be paying him during the ban. That might be more enticing to Del Rio than the deal that TNA would possibly give him.
August 17, 2014
Alberto Del Rio
Reports surfaced this week that WWE has banned Alberto Del Rio from wrestling in the United States for approximately 10 or 11 months because he was found to be in breach of his contract. The former world heavyweight champion will be allowed to work in Mexico as he pleases. Del Rio may not take legal actions against WWE because the company would be paying him a salary during the next year.
August 16, 2014
Alberto Del Rio
It looks like Alberto Del Rio will not be joining TNA or Global Force Wrestling after all. During a media appearance, the former world heavyweight champion revealed that he cannot wrestle in the United States for approximately a year. The belief is that he breached his contract with WWE when the backstage incident took place. That reportedly enables the company to ban him from working for another wrestling promotion.
August 16, 2014
Alberto Del Rio
During his press conference in Mexico this week, Alberto Del Rio revealed that there are some issues between he and WWE. He stated that he can no longer use the name because the company owns it. His new name is El Patron. Del Rio also stated that he is indeed under a 90 day clause with WWE, but his lawyers are fighting to have him cleared to wrestle for AAA at TripleMania on Sunday.
August 15, 2014
Alberto Del Rio
Some further information is being leaked about the situation that caused Alberto Del Rio to be given a release by WWE. Cody Barbierri, the employee that was allegedly slapped by Del Rio, apparently has a history of saying derogatory things towards the wrestlers. Reports are surfacing that he has gotten away with things in the past because he is backed by Stephanie McMahon. This would explain why a good amount of wrestlers backed Del Rio when he left the company.
August 14, 2014
Alberto Del Rio
Alberto Del Rio might not be the only familiar WWE face to make an appearance at TripleMania this upcoming Sunday night. Word has it that Rey Mysterio has accepted the invitation from AAA to be at the biggest wrestling pay per view in Mexico this weekend. If the masked performer shows up, then that means that his contract issues with Vince McMahon are still lingering.
August 14, 2014
Alberto Del Rio
There has been a lot of speculation floating around about Alberto Del Rio and his release from WWE since word got out that the former world heavyweight champion was going to be making an appearance for AAA at TripleMania this upcoming weekend. Some believe that he was able to convince WWE to waive his 90 day no compete clause because of the backstage incident.
August 13, 2014
Alberto Del Rio
While there are uncertainty as to whether or not Alberto Del Rio is under the 90 day no compete clause with WWE since he is rumored to be appearing at the big AAA pay per view this weekend, we now know that Ricardo Rodriguez cannot make an appearance for a television promotion. He informed fans via Twitter that he would not be able to make an appearance at TripleMania this upcoming Sunday.
August 12, 2014
Jeff Jarrett
Rumors are spreading that Alberto Del Rio could possibly become one of the bigger names to sign with Jeff Jarrett and Global Force Wrestling. The speculation is due to the fact that the two of them will both be at TripleMania this weekend. Jarrett has a business relationship with AAA and will be wrestling at the pay per view, while Del Rio, fresh off of a controversial release from WWE, will be making an appearance.
August 12, 2014
Alberto Del Rio
The Alberto Del Rio story has just gotten a little more interesting. An employee of AAA has announced that the former world heavyweight champion will be making an appearance at TripleMania, which is the Mexican version of Wrestlemania, on Sunday night. Generally, WWE enforces a 90 day clause on performers who are given a release. There is a possibility that Del Rio might not be under that clause, which means that his chances of showing up in TNA has increased tremendously.
August 11, 2014
Alberto Del Rio
Things are escalating a bit. When Alberto Del Rio was fired by WWE for slapping another employee, there was some controversy. Konnan has decided to take it up a notch. The opinionated and vocal performer sent a tweet to Cody Barbierri, the person that was allegedly slapped by Del Rio, that threatened that this incident is far from over. Konnan has long stated that racism is rampant within the industry.
August 11, 2014
Alberto Del Rio
As many of you already know by now, Alberto Del Rio was given his release from WWE because of an incident backstage where he allegedly slapped an employee for saying something racist. Reports are now surfacing that a lot of the wrestlers have sided with Del Rio and are upset with management for cutting him loose in the manner that they did.
August 11, 2014
Alberto Del Rio
There are still a lot of fans under the belief that the Alberto Del Rio release was a work by WWE. Some are basing solely on the fact that the company has addressed his actions in a straightforward manner. Those within the industry, though, know that this is a legitimate thing. There is no story line being set up for a feud between Del Rio and Triple H.
August 10, 2014