When Lucha Underground confirmed that their promotion is staying alive because a second season has been approved by the network, they claimed that Alberto Del Rio has been confirmed to be a part of their show. The former world heavyweight champion took to social media to dispute that claim. The two sides are set to meet in the coming days. Negotiations should be taking place on a new contract.
September 23, 2015
As some of you may already know, Alberto Del Rio was presented with some offers from MMA promotions after he left WWE. He declined them all. The former world heavyweight champion said that the money was good for a fighter. However, he made a whole lot more as a professional wrestler, so he decided to stick to the industry. Del Rio still wanted to be involved in the sport, so he signed a contract to be a commentator.
September 16, 2015
Since ROH has managed to bring in Alberto Del Rio and Samoa Joe, a lot of fans are under the assumption that their financial issues are over. That is not the case whatsoever. The company was able to sign those guys because they are short term contracts. While it does cost a pretty penny to get big name guys under contract, Ring of Honor is willing to take the risk to bring in revenue. It is being said that long term deals were never discussed.
February 28, 2015
For a short period of time earlier this year, TNA and AAA were on opposite sides, as both companies competed to see if they could get former WWE star Alberto Del Rio under contract. That battle is now over, so the sides are trying to see if they can work on something that would be mutually beneficial with one another. Dixie Carter is said to be interested in doing another talent exchange, in hopes of bringing some of the top stars in Mexico to the United States.
February 12, 2015
While Lucha Underground has been actively seeking well known talent to join their roster and increase their presence in the United States, they are having trouble signing performers. Aside from Alberto Del Rio, a lot of wrestlers are holding off on signing a contract with the promotion. One of the reasons being speculated for that right now is the fact that a lot of people are waiting to see what Jeff Jarrett can do with his new GFW promotion this year.
February 10, 2015
During a recent interview, Alberto Del Rio stated that he was perfectly fine with remaining in professional wrestling, but he left the door open for MMA if a good deal was on the table. Apparently, a good deal is now on the table. Reports have surfaced that Del Rio is quite close to signing a contract with Bellator for at least one fight. The former world heavyweight champion is also said to be negotiating with other promotions as well.
February 6, 2015
Once he is no longer contractually obligated to WWE, the belief is that Rey Mysterio will continue his career as an in ring performer. While TNA has yet to be removed as a potential destination, the belief is that he will be venturing over to Lucha Underground because he wants to be part of the movement. Along with the already signed and rejuvenated Alberto Del Rio, Mysterio could help the promotion gain more exposure nationwide.
January 30, 2015
A couple of weeks ago, we learned that TNA had put a big money offer and a favorable schedule on the table for Alberto Del Rio, but he declined the contract. That led many to speculate that he had a thing against the company. During a recent interview, Del Rio explained that he has nothing but the utmost respect for the company and the performers. He instead opted to sign with AAA and Lucha Underground out of loyalty.
January 28, 2015
Right before Impact Wrestling made its debut on Destination America, TNA wanted to make a big splash by signing a well known performer to make a surprise appearance. A $400,000 contract was put on the table for Alberto Del Rio. Management even sweetened the deal by limiting the amount of appearances that he would be required to make during the year. For whatever reasons, the former world heavyweight champion declined the offer.
January 18, 2015
In a move that has been expected for quite some time now, Lucha Underground has announced that they have signed Alberto Del Rio to a contract. The move does not come as a surprise since he is already under contract to AAA, which is the parent company. Del Rio is also the world heavyweight champion for the promotion, so the belt is more than likely going to be featured in the United States even more so now than ever before.
January 18, 2015